Is mobile social media opening up a new horizon before us? Mobile social media is one of the biggest wonders of the 21st century. Now, people are using a host of handheld gadgets like smartphones (android and iPhone), tablet PCs, iPad, and iTab for browsing various social networking sites. The launch of mobile social media has turned the world even smaller and brought us closer to each other. People with similar interests are using mobile social networks for communicating and linking. Why mobile social media is so popular? The concept on which mobile social media networking has developed is virtual community. A virtual community is a special social network comprising people who communicate with each other via particular social media platforms, which cut across geopolitical boundaries for sharing their interests or common objectives. There are different online communities that comprise the virtual community and these communities are involved in a range of social networking services. At present, most of the social networking sites have come up with their mobile apps that are easily accessible by the users on their gadgets, be it an iPhone or an android phone. There has been a significant development in the way we have been using the Internet. It all began with proprietary mobile networks and know-how and has reached a level where complete mobile access to the Internet is being enjoyed by the users. How mobile social media is opening up a new horizon for us Mobile functionality is king now and the demarcation between mobile and web is gradually becoming vague. Mobile apps are currently making use of the various contemporary social networking sites for generation of indigenous communities and promotion of new products and services of businesses. At the same time, web-oriented social networking sites are also making the most of the accessibility and other features of mobile. Smartphone apps and mobile browsers are facilitating the accessibility of web-based social networks on various gadgets. At the same time, indigenous mobile social networks that are concentrating on mobile usage are using features like augmented reality, location based services and mobile communication. As a result, mobile social media and web-based social networks are functioning hand in hand for enhancing access, sharing content and building links between users no matter where they live. Interesting trends seen in mobile social media Mobile social media is helping users in different ways such as social profile creation, message sending and receiving or allowing access to online mobile sites. Various models are being followed by various sites and the following trends are now predominantly seen:
1) Group texting – Now, microblogging or SMS facilitates transmitting text messages to a big community of people at the same time. The promptness here is what attracts users.
2) Geotagging and location specific posts – Users can now tag specific locations with pictures and other details in their posts. Other people can access these tags who are mapped on a global map. Notifications will come to you when the user travels by the area where someone was tagged in.
3) Increase of mobile social networking site use – Popular social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter now have their mobile versions. They are offering a host of attractive features like photo sharing, instant messaging and texting, multimedia posts, and international calling.
4) Dating service is available – Mobile social sites are now offering facilities to active daters for profile creation and matching. Radar is used for precision of matching and the safety features adopted are authentic.
5) Sharing of multimedia – Sharing photos, audios and videos has become simpler with mobile social networking sites. The access and storage of these data is also hassle free. 6) Social gaming is fast gaining popularity – People who love to play games on various social networks are finding that social gaming on their mobile devices is even more enjoyable. Both single player and multiplayer games are now being played with higher enthusiasm and the top names in these categories are Zynga and Angry Birds.
Author bio: Ashley Jones is a tech blogger who loves to write on different types of topics related to social media and mobile apps. Steve Heyer, the ex CEO of Harry & David is one of her idols.